A Short Walk on Hydra
Art, history and architecture converge on Hydra, making this island unique. Join Maria Voulgari on a relaxing stroll around the town for a tour linking the monuments and buildings to the history of the island for you. You will learn about piracy, trade and the role of Hydra in the Greek War of Independence. She will also talk about the Greek presidents, prime ministers and naval generals who were born here. And she won’t forget the artists who fell in love with Hydra and made it their home.
The tour includes:
- Monastery of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary
- Merchant Marine Academy
- Monument of N. Kolmaniatis
- Statue of A. Lignos & A. Ekonomou
- Statue of A. Miaoulis
- Square of the Five Hydriot Prime Ministers
- Rafalias Pharmacy
- Artists square
- Mansion of P.Koudouriotis
- Sophia Loren’s windmill
- Photo opportunity sitting in the place where Leonard Cohen had his picture taken for LIFE Magazine.
Duration: 1.30 hours
Cost: €40 per person
About Maria Voulgari
Your local tour leader-historian will be Maria, born and raised in Hydra. Maria has a bachelor’s degree from the Historical and Archaelogical University of Athens, a certification in cultural management from the same University and a master degree in History. Maria is passionate about the history of Hydra.